There are many different Government grants available to support, drive and encourage the transition from petrol and diesel vehicles to electric cars.
The Government in Ireland provides a wide range of supports to incentivise the purchase of electric cars. These include:
- Up to €5,000 towards purchase of new battery electric vehicles (BEVs). A grant eligibility price cap of €60,000 applies.
- Up to €600 to install a home charger unit for new and second-hand BEVs or PHEVs.
- VRT relief of up to €5,000 for BEVs.
- BEVs qualify for the lowest tax band of motor tax at €120 per annum, while a PHEV is typically taxed at circa €170 per annum.
- Tolling reductions of 50% for battery electric vehicles and 25% for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles.
- BEVs qualify for a 0% Benefit-in-Kind rate up to €50,000 without mileage conditions.